Patient engagement – how is it that nobody seems to agree on the definition and yet everybody seems to claim to be the market leader?
We know that when patients are effectively engaged in their care, both clinical and financial outcomes can improve. Studies have shown that engagement can improve operational efficiencies, increase compliance with physician instructions and even raise HCAHPS scores. And while there is no such thing as a “silver bullet” that will magically fix healthcare, there is near universal agreement that engaging and empowering patients in their care will positively impact quality and economics.
That’s the good news.
The bad news is that truly engaging patients in a meaningful way is hard – it’s really, really hard. How do I know? Well, 11 years ago I founded a patient engagement company, and now I know 2 things to be true:
- Patient engagement does work and impact outcomes and
- It takes a long time and a tremendous amount of hard work from a team of very talented people.
Why bring this up now? Well, as someone who believes deeply in the concept of engagement, I find it very troubling that everything that could potentially be seen, heard, or read by a patient is now being positioned as “patient engagement.”
To us here at Emmi Solutions, patient engagement isn’t some buzzword or new business tactic; it’s actually something very meaningful that can help make healthcare better for everyone. When vendors start referring to post cards, in room TV systems and printed brochures as “engagement platforms” it’s not only misleading but diminishes the value of solutions that actually engage patients.
If an organization has made the commitment to incorporate patient engagement into their care process, then we would urge them to really take the time to identify a partner that provides total engagement. Simply stated, the Total Engagement Platform we offer actually meets the needs of all who provide care and all who receive care – regardless of the setting, condition, or technological ability.
In an effort to help organizations meet or even surpass their engagement goals, we will provide you, in an 8 part series, an in-depth look at the elements of The Emmi® Total Engagement Platform.
- Understands how to synthesize and deliver actionable information to patients
- Facilitates engagement in all settings across the continuum of care
- Activates patients at their convenience
- Integrates seamlessly into IT systems and workflows
- Delivers results down to the individual patient
- Measures and provides clinical and financial outcomes
- Backed by an organization with expert knowledge and experience
- Supports the near-term and long-term objectives of the organization including supporting IHI’s Triple Aim
Healthcare has entered the age of accountability. Providers are accountable for the outcomes they deliver and their engagement partners should be held to the same standard. The Emmi Total Engagement Platform delivers patient engagement that aligns with your operational and clinical goals.
Learning how to motivate patients to become an active participant in their care takes a great deal of time, energy, and experience. However, when it’s done right, it’s an investment well worth making and will likely play a key role in the transformation of healthcare.